Monday 12 August 2013

All The Single Ladies... Are Dark Skinned?


  • Pretty face
  • Likes cooking 
  • Cleans the house because it de-stresses her
  • Loves animals 
  • Well read
  • Well traveled
  • Well spoken
  • Loving 
  • Caring 
  • Independent 
  • Hates shopping 
  • Can down a beer faster than you can 
  • Has a great sense of humor 
  • Can laugh her way through phases of life that would normally leave people broken
  • Competitive about career; caring about almost everything else 
Sounds like the kind of girl most guys would love to have, eh? Well if not most, at least a few. This list symbolizes a combination of qualities I know in a lot of women around me; especially some of the women in my inner circle. Each one of them checks out for about 80% of what this aforementioned list has to offer. Yet, surprisingly, all of them continue to be single - out of choice or out of lack of options. 

Believe it or not, most of these women are dark-skinned. If you're an Indian, you're well acquainted with the term 'wheatish'. I am not even sure if that's a word in real English; if you know what I mean. I believe the term 'wheatish' was coined to help people run away from the stigma that was usually associated with the term 'dark skinned'. We're not wheatish. We're dark skinned; and hell, we're more than okay with it. I'd go to say we're brown and proud! 

Is being dark such a big crime? Don't get me wrong when I say this. I am not saying that I, or any of these other chica friends of mine should be disappointed by the fact that men can't accept us for the way we look; I am saying where does this whole association of dark equals unattractive come from.

It's something that is ingrained; etched right at the roots. It's funny how we grew up watching pretty & fair faces on television and the media. Somewhere down the line, it grew upon us - this whole idea of fair equals beautiful. Dark faces were usually the ones behind the camera.

The dark ones are the ones who land up without a date; or the ones who land dates who want to land upon them, if you know what I mean.

I am a dark skinned woman; and I have no qualms in admitting this. I have met a number of chimps in the past who have been enamored by my skin tone and think of me as this exotic creature. Some how they seem more comfortable praising my skin tone when we are alone; and I am definitely not the kind of girl they'd want to be seen outside with, or take home to meet their parents.

It's annoying and unnerving when that happens. So is that how it's always going to be? Are the dark skinned ones going to be the 'friend', 'the guy with girl parts', the one you tell your sob stories to, who deals with all your shit, the pushover?

Some day, don't be surprised if she (this dark and dusky beauty) gets whisked away by someone else, and you realize how great she was. How amazing it would have been if you'd looked beyond her skin tone, the size of her waist, or the pimples on her face. It would have been amazing if you'd stopped hitting on her best friend and have given a shot at a real relationship with her. If you'd realized that this exotic beauty could have been yours forever!

Look again. If all you see is her color, then you have no clue what you're missing out on, mister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment